12/17/06

the role of intellectuals in the dumbening of america

I am willing to admit that I took a certain amount of snobbish joy in writing the essay on the dumbening of America. What is truly a depressing topic somehow brought joy to me as I wrote about it. Of course, that's why you choose to write about whatever you write about. A journalist who writes about the horrors of war in Africa can feel good about their writing because they have related important information to the world. And while I know a good deal of my joy in the "dumbness" piece comes from this, I worry that some of it comes from something deeper and more sinister. There is that lurking overwhelming sense of pride in the fact that I am not a dumb American.

Intellectuals have always celebrated their lives apart from most of humanity. Traditionally, European intellectuals were always from the privileged classes, scorning the silly masses. And though today's American intellectuals (in theory) represent all races and classes, I wonder if this better-than-you mentality is not only present, but also dangerous to American society.

Being an intellectual is always tragic; there is inevitably the sense of having battled against some adversarial force. This adversary is most commonly the society of idiots who just won't let the intellectual be themselves. But despite their complaining about this, I think there is a certain thread in the intellectual tradition that needs this opposition. There is a sense that one's greatness only exists in measure to the relative stupidity of those around you. If America (or the world) stopped being dumb, where would the intellectuals be? They'd be the same as everyone else. This is what they (we) all espouse to support, but could they (we) really stand the scenario of not being the smartest kid in the classroom anymore?

What I'm getting at is that I say I wish everyone read the New York Times every morning, but I secretly take pleasure in the fact that I am one a small number of people who actually do read the New York Times every morning. I wish that Fox News didn't exist, but I feel self-important knowing (and saying) that it is bullshit. The Daily Show is what I consider the pinnacle of television, yet it's entire premise is laughing at (and thus enjoying?) America's descent into dumbness. Is this smart, cynical attitude somehow responsible for the stupidity?

It would be very difficult to draw a direct causal connection. However, intellectuals make no secret of their attempts to cordon themselves off from the world. I am currently in a state of near personal crisis regarding my decision whether or not to attempt to enter the tower of academia. It's a wonderful, enlightened place, but the hoops are so high, and the people are so snobby, I don't know if it's worth it. This is where the partitioning of society begins. Those with PhD's scorn those without them, when in truth, being granted one is based on about 43% skill and 57% popularity contest. Being the brightest is definitely an exclusive club, and I wonder if that attitude among our best educated somehow contributes to America's dumbness.

Certainly the intellectual snobbishness doesn't aid in achieving a truce in the culture war, but does it really contribute to the stupidity of those in the other trenches? Is there something about the way that we say "everyone should listen to NPR" that makes the masses prefer Fox News? Could we be subconsciously doing this on purpose?

I certainly fucking hope not, because I feel that I honestly, sincerely believe it when I say that everyone should listen to NPR and read the New York Times. Sure I take pride in the fact that I do these things, but I don't think I would take any less pride if everyone else did them too. I take pride in doing them simply because it is the right thing to do. Doing the right thing doesn't feel any less good if everyone else is doing it. It's fun to be the smartest kid in the class, but it's also much more fun to be in a class full of smart kids than a class full of idiots.

No comments: